Auto Logoff screensaver for Windows 7/Vista

AutoLogoff ScreensaverThere used to be an auto logoff screensaver (winExit.scr) in the Windows 2000/2003 resource kit, although it doesn’t appear to play too well with Windows 7/Vista. I needed the functionality that this provided for the systems in our meeting rooms, as people have a habit of leaving the systems logged on in there then leaving the room!

As I couldn’t find anything (for free!) that did this, I thought it was time for a bit of D.I.Y! So here we have my AutoLogoff Screensaver for Windows 7/Vista. Dead simple, drop in your C:\Windows\System32 folder, then probably use group policy to force it onto certain machines, or the local policy with gpedit.msc! Dims the screen like a UAC prompt in order to try and get the users attention a bit more, there’s no configurable options at the moment, just 60 seconds warning until logoff. If I get alot of requests I might add some additional funtionality, but it’s serving my requirements now, so I’m happy ;)

Update 06/09/10: I’ve now added the ability to change the amount of time the warning lasts for, you can either leave as the default 60 sec, or create a reg key in HKLM to set your own – see readme file for key name!

Update 03/12/10: Added the force option for the logoff as per requests!

Update 26/05/11: Fixed a rather major bug – the logoff button didn’t work! Also made the escape key cancel the screensaver/countdown.

Download – AutoLogoff_v2.3.zip (146KB)

45 Comments

• Roger commented on June 30, 2010

I love the screensaver, it is exactly what I was looking for. However, if you were adding features, a “restart machine” option versus just a log off option would be a great addition. Thank you.

• Michael Kroell commented on July 7, 2010

You are a life saver!

• Steven commented on August 6, 2010

Could you create a version that has a configurable timeout?

• Samuel commented on August 18, 2010

I love this screensaver! The only option that I REALLY need in order to implement this campus wide is the option to change the length of time before logoff. Is there a way to configure it with a different time before kicking on and for a longer time out/warning before logging off?

• Jim commented on August 27, 2010

Took forever to come across this while trying to find out to use winexit.scr as the default/mandatory screen saver on Windows Vista and Windows 7. Like others have said, I would like to be extend the warning time and possibly modifiy the warning text.

• Geoff Kendal commented on September 6, 2010

Found a few spare minuites to add the ability to change the logoff delay, get on the download for v2!

• Michael commented on September 17, 2010

hello,

Excellent utility but could you possibly add the force option to the log off. I have apps that are asking for input and preventing the machine from logging off. Otherwise really nice!

Thanks!

• Julian commented on December 1, 2010

Great utility however fails to logoff when there are unsaved documents open. Can you add an option for forced logoff?

• Adam commented on January 3, 2011

Thank you for providing this, and for modifying it to force logoff! It would be helpful if one could press the “Escape” key to prevent logoff, though.

Would it be possible for you to publish the source?

• Clint commented on January 10, 2011

The Logoff button does not appear to be working. I’ve tested it on both Windows 7 and Windows XP systems. Does a registry key or something need to be configured to enable the Logoff button to work?

• kk5 commented on February 11, 2011

hello – i copied the autolog off to system 32, can some one please send the instructions on how to edit gpo globally or gpedit.msc locally
    what settings need to be modified in gpo to have this work
    appreicate your help

thanks
    kk

• Geoff Kendal commented on May 26, 2011

Version 2.3 fixes the issue with the broken logoff button! You can also hit the escape key to quickly cancel the logoff countdown.

• Keith K commented on August 5, 2011

How canI verify that this is virus free, malware free, does not do anything malicious etc…..

• Ryan commented on August 15, 2011

How do modify the logoff timeout setting for the script to execute in windows 7 ?

• Geoff Kendal commented on August 17, 2011

@KeithL – Same as anything else you download, run it through a virus/malware scanner with the most recent defs.

@Ryan – Logoff timeout set by creating a reg key:
    “HKLM\Software\Squiggle.org\AutoLogOffScreenSaver\WarningTime”. Create a DWORD value with the required amount of seconds.

• David commented on September 20, 2011

This is very much appreciated, as my older solution has suddenly stopped working in Win7.

I’d also clamor :) for a restart option. Logoff sometimes leaves my lab machines in a weird state around printers.

• Adam V. commented on November 18, 2011

Is there a reg entry to black out the screen as opposed to dimming it, this is a great tool, i would just like to not have the screen contents visible during the countdown. Thanks.

• Zak commented on March 18, 2012

Thanks allot for all your efforts! Perfect.

Does anyone know anything that will do the same thing but shutdown the computer please? I am looking for something that will shutdown computers that have not been logged on for an hour.

Thanks

• Brad W. commented on March 21, 2012

Any chance of releasing the source code version of this?

• Joe commented on July 3, 2012

Ditto.. Open-source would be beneficial.

• Brett commented on July 11, 2012

Is there any way to customize the message displayed on the logoff box?

Also, it would be great if there was a way to display the time in Min:Sec rather than just Seconds.

Thanks for the great app!

• Mark commented on July 13, 2012

Will this work in conjunction with screen lock? It would be great if an individual could lock the screen for up to 10 minutes of inactivity prior to an auto logout.

Thanks

• Andrew commented on April 19, 2013

I don’t see an explanation of how to set the “force” logout option.

Is it also a custom registry setting like the warningTime is?

• Max commented on May 17, 2013

Would it be possible to get the source code for this? I love having the ability to change the timeout, however I need to play with the wording. (To appease the higher ups)
    Thanks!

• steffi commented on August 28, 2013

Nice, I’ll use it right away!
    I hope you can expand the features a little bit! (:
    Thanks from the small but lovely Austria!

• Phil commented on October 21, 2013

Hi. Excellent little app you’ve made here. Just wondering if there’s an option to remove the Logoff button (reg key?) to prevent passers-by from logging off someone’s session before the timeout expires?

Thanks

• Lansti commented on November 4, 2013

Hi. Great script.
    Is it possible to get the source code for this?
    I want to change the timer, so the countdown is showed in hours, minutes and seconds. I also want to change the text.
    And if possible, I want to change the trigger, so it will show up on the screen after for example 2 hours idle time, with a countdown for another 2 hours.

• Jason Boyd commented on November 19, 2013

Very useful utility – can’t believe this isn’t built into Windows. Can you think of any way using GPO to make this apply for users when logged onto specific computers?

• Sasha G commented on January 10, 2014

@Jason,

To apply it using GPO do the following:

1. Save the screensaver to the shared location (it can be “\\domaincontroller\netlogon\AutoLogoff\”)
    2. Open Group Policy Management
    3. Create new policy
    4. Go to User Configuration > Policies > Administrative Template > Control Panel > Personalization

Settings:
    a. Enable Screen Saver -> set to Enabled
    b. Force specific screen saver -> set to Enabled and specify screen saver executable name (you can provide direct path to the shared location e.g. \\domaincontroller\netlogon\autologoff\autologoff.scr)
    c. Screen saver timeout -> set to Enabled and specify Idle in seconds

5. Apply this GPO to the specific users, groups and etc.
    6. To force this GPO, run “cmd” –> gpupdate /force

• Jacob White commented on January 22, 2014

Thanks for this! We are going to implement this on campus soon here. This is a long shot, but is there anyway I could possibly get the source code/project files? Would like to build some off of this, but totally understand if you don’t want to share. Would still give you credit.

Thanks!
    Jacob

• Justin commented on January 25, 2014

What are the requirements for this? I’ve deployed this as part of a task sequence in SCCM on a Windows XP machine, & I get an error message when I try to test the screensaver (“Unable to find a version of the runtime to run the application”)

Thanks in advance!
    Justin

• Justin commented on January 25, 2014

Disregard last post, I’ve managed to get it working. All that was required was .NET Framework 3.5 (4 didn’t suffice, oddly)

• Andrew Dean commented on May 8, 2014

Cool solution. I have a little issue, hopefully someone can assist. I have deployed the file via group policy and set the screen saver to run via group policy.

My issue is when the screensaver kicks in, the screen goes dark, but i don’t see the dialogue box or countdown. the screen stays in that state until the user touches mouse or keyboard and the screen goes back to desktop.

If I manual preview the screen saver, it works.

any one seen this?

• Malachi commented on July 11, 2014

Great solution, except for one problem. In my case it doesn’t actually log my users off. What I’ve determined is that this seems to be because by default the ‘Cancel’ button is highlighted when the screensaver activates, and at the end of the timer countdown, it must ‘press’ whichever button is highlighted. So if I manually switch the highlighted button to the ‘Log off’ button by simply pressing the arrow left key when the screensaver activates, it will then log out at the end of the countdown. If I don’t do this, it does not log out. This definitely defeats the purpose of AutoLogoff! Am I doing something wrong, and is there a way I can make this work correctly? I followed the documentation, and the screensaver does come up as it should, it just won’t actually log any users off.

• Lucas commented on July 28, 2014

Has anyone got this working correctly via gpo?

It works if I configure the screensaver manually.

I can see my gpo settings applied in the screensaver options. Pressing the preview button will log out the user as expected. It does not, though, trigger after the amount of idle time that has been set.

• Roy commented on September 9, 2014

Having the same issue as Lucas. Preview works but will no trigger from being idle. Has anyone found a resolution for this at all?

• Justin Jayjohn commented on January 7, 2015

All,

I am having an issue configuring the “timeout” period. I am trying to get this setup on a windows 7 64bit machine. I copied the file to the c:\windows\system32 folder. I created the registry entry. The readme file – did not specify if the new created dword – needed to be named something specific. The screensaver will popup & give the warning message. However, I cannot get the warning message to use a configured timeout (time limit). It keeps giving the default 60 second timeout. Everything I have tried – has not worked. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Justin

• Geoff commented on January 12, 2015

@Justin,

HKLM\Software\Squiggle.org\AutoLogOffScreenSaver

Create DWORD called ‘WarningTime’

• sergio commented on March 30, 2015

Can you put it in Spanish? I need it for my business . Thank You

• Basse commented on May 13, 2015

Dear Geoff,

Is it possible to get the open source code ?

• 98Micah commented on December 28, 2016

I must say you have hi quality posts here. Your website should go viral.
    You need initial boost only. How to get it?
    Search for; Etorofer’s strategies

• Bill commented on August 23, 2017

Warning Time doesn’t work on 64 bit Win 7 Pro

Can you be more clear on how to add the Reg Key?

• FirstAlta commented on October 6, 2017

I see you don’t monetize your blog, don’t waste your traffic, you can earn additional
    cash every month because you’ve got high quality content.

If you want to know how to make extra bucks, search for: Mrdalekjd methods for
    $$$

• BestEmil commented on April 14, 2018

I have noticed you don’t monetize your site, don’t waste your traffic, you can earn additional cash every month because you’ve got
    high quality content. If you want to know how to make
    extra $$$, search for: Ercannou’s essential adsense alternative

• TysonJuicy commented on July 24, 2018

Hello. I see that you don’t update your page too often. I know that writing articles is boring and time consuming.

But did you know that there is a tool that allows you to create new posts
    using existing content (from article directories or other websites from your niche)?
    And it does it very well. The new articles are high quality and pass the copyscape
    test. You should try miftolo’s tools